When winter comes, summer residents decide to postpone gardening until spring. However, it is better to prune fruit trees in winter. During autumn pruning, some damaged or affected branches remain on the trees, because it is not always possible to detect them in time. In winter, there are no leaves on the trees, so it is easier to remove damaged and affected branches. Also, in winter, you can form a crown.
- Harmful insects and larvae are in a calm state.
- The energy of the tree is not spent on building up green mass, which makes it easier to tighten wounds.It’s easier to remove dead bark, just scrape it off.
- It also becomes easier to detect spores of harmful fungi.
- At a low temperature, the risk of infectious diseases decreases.
- After pruning, it is not necessary to process the sections. You can use white oil paint.Also, in winter, trees are treated with fungicides at plus temperatures. In this case, processing will be useful and will give good results.
Disadvantages of winter tree pruning:
- The wood is more fragile, because of which you can damage the branches.
- During pruning, branches may break in inappropriate places.
- It is quite uncomfortable to work at a low temperature.
- In winter, you should use the ladder carefully, because you can fall and injure yourself. When using gloves, the risk of falling increases.
- With a sudden drop in temperature, plants experience increased stress.
Pay attention to weather conditions. If the air temperature is 5 degrees below zero, you can remove dead and diseased branches. Young seedlings do not need pruning, because they are not frost-resistant, which can cause them to die.
Winter pruning should be done rationally. These can be critical moments when there are affected branches that were not detected in the fall.
Read us! We have a lot of interesting things about gardens in Great Britain.