The fight against aphids on roses is permanent and lasts from spring to autumn. Treatments are carried out 3-9 times per season, or maybe more.
Preventive measures cannot prevent the appearance of new colonies of aphids, so more effective means are needed.
The fight against green aphids
With a small number of insects, they are removed several days in a row. To do this, direct a strong jet of water on the rose bushes or, wearing gloves, crush the insects, then wash the bush with clean water.
Folk remedies include the treatment of roses with various tinctures and decoctions based on herbs, husks and ashes.
Here are some of them:
- Thoroughly mix 4-5 tbsp. l. shavings of household soap in 1 liter of warm water. Spray roses with this solution every 14 days, throughout the growing season, especially after each rain. Toilet soap is not suitable.
- Dissolve 300-400 grams of wood ash in a bucket of water, boil for two hours over low heat, cool, filter and process the rose bushes.
- Add tobacco dust to a liter of water and boil for half an hour on low heat. Cool the mixture, filter, pour 10-20 ml of liquid soap. Treat the plants every 14-20 days.
- Heat 10 liters of water, add 200 grams of onion peel and leave to infuse in a warm place for 5 days. Treat the roses with the filtered solution.
- Pound several heads of garlic into a homogeneous mass without removing the skin, add up to 10 liters of water and leave to infuse for a day. Infusion can repel not only aphids, but also ticks and weevils.
Chemical means against aphids
Such tools can be purchased in specialized stores. They deal with such problems quickly and have a long waiting period.
Before use, carefully study the instructions, do not forget about the rules of personal protection.
They are applied several times per season, as pests settle on the rose bushes. If there is a slight settlement of aphids, there is no need to delay the treatment of plants. These insects adapt and adjust to these drugs very well, so you need to change them to new ones all the time, and most importantly, with a new active substance. In the breaks between chemical means, use folk methods: decoctions and tinctures with natural components in the composition. Also, use mechanical methods of destroying aphids.
Flowers after spraying with drugs become unsuitable for use for medical or cosmetic purposes, as well as for cutting into bouquets.