In order to collect a good and healthy crop of currants in the summer, it is necessary to process the bushes in the spring with high quality and in a timely manner.
Processing should be done to protect currants from diseases and pests. Some insects become active even before the first leaves appear. Therefore, you can, without fear, spray the bushes with special preparations.
Preparations used to treat currants against diseases
It all depends on the region where currants are grown. If the snow has not yet fallen in March, and there are frosts at night, then there is no need to process the bushes. Insects and other pests have not yet woken up from winter hibernation, which means that it is impossible to destroy them.
Before you start spraying currants, you need to pay attention to the climatic conditions and the condition of the plants. The moment when the buds are already swollen, but have not yet blossomed, is ideal. At the same time, the snow has fallen, and the ground is still hard in places.
Diseases from which currant bushes suffer the most
There are not many of them, but they are able to destroy the currant crop for several years in a row and the bushes in general.
The plant can suffer from anthracnose, reversion, septoriosis and spherotheca.
First, you need to find out what caused the bushes, and only then proceed to their treatment.
Means for the treatment of currants
In specialized stores there are many different drugs, many of which are gentle. The most popular preparations are: 3% solution of copper sulfate, 5% solution of iron sulfate, 1% solution of Bordeaux liquid and ash infusion. To prepare for 1 liter of water, take 10 grams of the product, infuse for three days, then strain and add 3 liters of water.
Processing is carried out in several stages:
- When the snow comes, you need to remove the fallen leaves gathered under the bushes, loosen the top layer of the soil and treat the bushes with copper or iron sulfate.
- When the buds begin to appear, you need to treat the currants with Bordeaux liquid.
- After the period of flowering and harvesting, the bushes are again treated with Bordeaux liquid.
Treatment of bushes from pests
If insects appear on the currants, you can notice them immediately.
Bushes are most often affected by bud mite, bud moth, glassworm, currant aphid, currant whitefly, sawfly, and currant gall.
Processing of currants in the early stages of damage by pests
You can use natural or chemical means.
Natural ones are of a more preventive nature, but in case of large-scale damage, it is better to use chemical means.
Boiling water, tinctures of tobacco, celandine, garlic, onion, nightshade or dandelion are used for prevention.
Rules for treating bushes against insects and diseases
To destroy pests efficiently and without harm to yourself, you need to follow simple tips:
- First, get rid of dry and diseased branches, remove dry leaves from under the bush and loosen the soil.
- Processing is carried out in March or April, before the buds open.
- The soil in the trunk circle should be processed, but no closer than 50-60 cm from the root system.
- Be sure to wear a gown, hat, gloves, and respirator before spraying.
- Carry out processing in the morning or in the evening, when according to the weather forecast in the next 2-3 days no precipitation is expected.
- Before diluting the drug, be sure to read the instructions.
- Keep children and animals away from the treatment area for 12-24 hours.
- If the diluted drug remains, it should be disposed of immediately according to the instructions.
However, do not forget that bushes need to be watered, weeded, trimmed and fed in time. Then the currant will surely thank you for it with a good harvest.
We wrote earlier: Pruning raspberry and gooseberry bushes in the spring. How to do it correctly.