Fertilizing orchids is not an easy thing, so you should pay attention to several details.
Orchid is a true aristocrat of the flower world, the undisputed leader on the aesthetic pedestal of indoor plants. Flowers generously gifted by nature, favorites of poets and artists, in houses and apartments create a truly royal flower garden. So that it is not painful to see yellowed buds and leaves, tropical beauties need careful care, including the appropriate fertilizer for orchids.
When buying orchids, novice florists should understand that they have capricious plants that are difficult to resuscitate in case of illness. At the same time, many factors affect the health of flowers – from proper watering to timely feeding. Even stress from a change in environment can cause the buds to drop.
How to preserve the beauty of orchids: the basic rules of care
- Air. The homeland of exotic flowers is the tropics, so they need high humidity. Otherwise, the tissues of the petals dry out and wither quickly. During the heating season, when the air is particularly dry, the batteries should be covered with wet napkins, and bowls of water should be placed near the plants.
- Draft. Heat-loving orchids do not accept through cold air – even a short-term decrease in temperature below +7°C can cause the death of plants. During ventilation, remove the pots from the windowsill, and if the street thermometer shows less than +15°C, it is not recommended to open several windows at once.
- Lighting. You want to put a beautiful orchid in a prominent place in order to get aesthetic pleasure and attract the admiring glances of guests. Such a place should be near a window, because orchids like long daylight and bright lighting, but without the influence of direct sunlight. In winter, plants require artificial lighting, especially such varieties as Vanda, Cattleya, Cymbidium.
- Fertilizing. For additional nutrition, it is advisable to use a specialized fertilizer for orchids, because delicate flowers need a reduced dosage of active substances. Plants are fertilized regularly during the growing season and flowering period – it is at this time that the soil becomes depleted especially quickly.
Details on fertilizing orchids
Root fertilizing is designed to replenish soil reserves of micro- and macroelements and to ensure full nutrition of healthy plants. To apply fertilizer correctly, the pot should be immersed in a container with ordinary water, pour the soil with a nutrient solution prepared in advance and leave for 15-20 minutes. After feeding, excess solution should be removed from the tray.
Foliar fertilizing is necessary to feed the stem and leaves during active growth. Also, spraying fills the lack of nutrients in case of chlorosis and is used in case of damage to the roots, when fertilizer cannot be applied to the soil.
Be sure to follow the feeding rules:
- you cannot fertilize a newly transplanted, weakened by pests or diseased plant;
- fertilizer for orchids can only be applied to wet soil, otherwise there is a high probability of burning the roots;
- foliar feeding is carried out in the morning so that the sun does not cause chemical burns of the leaves and stems;
- plants should not be fertilized during the active flowering phase in order to extend the life cycle of opened buds.
Read more: How to grow orchids: secrets
Optimal fertilizer for orchids
For the healthy development of an orchid, a complex of NPK – nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium is required. Compositions with increased nitrogen concentration activate the growth of green biomass. Fertilization with an increased dose of phosphorus is recommended during the formation of flower stalks and blooming of buds. Potassium in all periods helps to strengthen the roots and increases the resistance of plants to various diseases.
The best fertilizers for orchids are specialized liquid solutions. Very convenient feeding in the form of applicators, which gradually release nutrients into the soil. If you use a universal fertilizer for flowering plants, consider that the indicated dosage should be reduced by at least 2 times, since orchids do not tolerate high concentrations of active substances.
Remember, only with proper care you will be able to admire your own garden with wonderful blooming orchids.
More interesting things on our page at Google news.
Author: Цинічний Львів.